The video below illustrates how this child entrapment hazard may occur.
- Elevators installed with more than four (4) inches of Gap Space between the hoistway doors and elevator car doors can pose a risk of serious injury or death to children.
- If your home elevator has excessive Gap Spaces, take steps to block children from accessing it until you are able to arrange for installation of Space Guards or other measures to reduce the Gap Space.
- Please click here for more information about the steps that you need to take to reduce the Gap Space.
- Take steps to protect children even if children do not live in your home. Children have been seriously injured or killed in vacation rentals or while visiting grandparents’ homes equipped with an elevator.
- Never let a child ride in an elevator without an adult, and do not let children play on or around an elevator.
If you are a U.S. homeowner equipped with an elevator model furnished by ThyssenKrupp Access Manufacturing, LLC, ThyssenKrupp Access Corp., Access Industries, or National Wheel-O-Vator (jointly “thyssenkrupp Access”), please contact thyssenkrupp Access right away at 1-800-285-9862. We will arrange for a contractor to measure the Gap Space at each entrance to your elevator in order to determine the need for Space Guards. If needed, we will provide and pay for installation of a free Space Guard for each entrance to help reduce the Gap Spaces between the hoistway door and the elevator car door and lessen the risk of child entrapments.
Important Notice: Space Guards cannot take the place of careful adult supervision whenever children may be on or near an elevator. Never let a child ride an elevator without an adult, and don’t let children play in or around an elevator.
Space Guards are intended to reduce the Gap Space between hoistway doors and elevator car doors/gates, lowering the risk of child entrapment. thyssenkrupp Access cannot and does not guarantee that provided Space Guards will be an exact or optimal fit for the particular hoistway doors, door hardware, and Gap Spaces. Installing Space Guards does not ensure compliance with laws, standards, or codes that may apply to your residence.